[Eeglablist] Signal/noise loss, re-referencing Biosemi data

Thomas Ferree tom.ferree at radiology.ucsf.edu
Wed May 11 15:24:30 PDT 2005

LLoyd,

Thank you for the clarifications.

It is true that my comments ignored the issue of ground electrode
for simplicity.  You describe this issue very nicely.  We should
note that a ground electrode is also present in conventional EEG
systems (e.g., EGI and Neuroscan) for the same reason (CMRR).

Active noise suppression circuitry is also available in Synamp2,
although I do not know the design details.  Since the existence
of a ground and active noise suppression in the amps are not
unique to Biosemi, could you please clarify the main hardware
difference between the ActiveTwo system and conventional EEG
systems?

Regarding the choice of reference, would you agree that your use
of the term Linked Reference is more like the conventional term
Average Reference, in that there is no direct physical linkage
between different electrodes, except by going through the amps?
I wish to verify that your system satisfies the theeretical
zero-current-flow-through-the-scalp condition, at least
approximately by virtue of the high input-impedance amps.

Thanks very much,
Tom.

>signal (channel) for each active electrode.  One must subtract one channel
>or the average of some number of channels (e.g. A1 & A2, or common average,
>which is the average of all scalp channels) to compute a referenced EEG
>signal.  Although you can display a referenced EEG signal in the ActiView
>data acquisition software, the signal is never saved in a referenced format.
>A reference subtration must be performed off-line.  The common mode
>interference is reduced (signal/noise is increased) by the act of
>subtracting an EEG reference.
>
>Below is a more thorough discussion of how the ActiveTwo system measures
>voltage and how the measurements are stored by Coen Metting Van Rijn of
>BioSemi.
>
>================
>
>In greater detail, voltage is defined as the difference in electrical
>potential between points (for example on the scalp).  In principle, you can
>measure a voltage with two inputs and two electrodes.  This is what you do
>when you use a meter to measure a battery voltage.  The problem with
>semiconductor amplifiers (transistor inputs) is that you need a third
>connection to archive a really high input impedance on the two inputs used
>for the voltage measurement.  This third connection is the "ground"
>electrode (for the technically interested: it provides the bias current for
>the two high-impedance inputs).  The amplifier now takes two voltage
>measurements: E1 with respect to GND, and E2 with respect to GND.  By
>subtracting the two voltage readings, the amplifier "calculates" the voltage
>between E1 and E2.  Both measurements with respect to GND are polluted with
>inference, because of interference currents flowing through the GND
>electrode. However, because this error signal is the same for both
>measurements - it is Common Mode - it cancels in the reference subtraction
>(common mode rejection).
>
>In the ActiveTwo system, instead of a simple GND electrode, an active
>feedback circuit with two electrode is used: CMS and DRL.  This offers
>better CMRR and subject safety than a simple passive GND electrode.
>However, for easy understanding of the topic decribed now, you can regard
>the CMS as equivalent of the conventional GND electrode, and forget about
>the DRL.
>
>In general, the voltages E1-CMS and E2-CMS are large (polluted with common
>mode interference), while the voltage E1-E2 is small (clean EEG).  In the
>old days, analog EEG systems wrote EEG data directly to paper during
>acquisition, so it was important to be able to reject line noise on-line.
>Even in the beginning of the digital era, dynamic range remained very
>limited because only 12 bits were available in the ADC.  In addition, mains
>instead of battery power supply caused high levels of Common Mode
>interference.  The combination of high CM and small dynamic range, forced
> [...]

Thomas Ferree, Ph.D.
(415) 353-9474
http://dnl.ucsf.edu/users/tferree