[Eeglablist] What type of monitor gives less noise in the neuropsychology experiment?

Campbell, Tom tom.campbell at helsinki.fi
Fri Jul 1 01:16:31 PDT 2005

There is a literature on how radiation from mobile phones interferes with
brain activity, mostly in a journal called Bioelectromagnetics. I'd be
interested if anyone comes across some investigations that look at
different types of monitor radiation in a similar way.

See also:
Title: Cellular phone electromagnetic field effects on bioelectric
activity of human brain
Author(s): Lebedeva NN, Sulimov AV, Sulimova OP, Kotrovskaya TI, Gailus T
Source: CRITICAL REVIEWS IN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING 28 (1-2): 323-337 2000

There is an interesting article on investigations with rabbits:

Title: Nonlinear changes in brain electrical activity due to cell phone
radiation
Author(s): Marino AA, Nilsen E, Frilot C
Source: BIOELECTROMAGNETICS 24 (5): 339-346 JUL 2003
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 32      Times Cited: 2
Abstract: We studied the effect of an electromagnetic field from a
cellular telephone on brain electrical activity, using a novel analytical
method based on a nonlinear model. The electroencephalogram (EEG) from
rabbits was embedded in phase space and local recurrence plots were
calculated and quantified using recurrence quantitation analysis to permit
statistical comparisons between filtered segments of exposed and control
epochs from individual rabbits. When the rabbits were exposed to the
radiation from a standard cellular telephone (800 MHz band, 600 mW maximum
radiated power) under conditions that simulated normal human use, the EEG
was significantly affected in nine of ten animals studied. The effect
occurred beginning about 100 ms after initiation of application of the
field and lasted similar to300 ms. In each case, the fields increased the
randomness in the EEG. A control procedure ruled out the possibility that
the observations were a product of the method of analysis. No differences
were found between exposed and control epochs in any animal when the
experiment was repeated after the rabbits had been sacrificed, indicating
that absorption of radiation by the EEG electrodes could not account for
the observed effect. No effect was seen when deposition of energy in the
brain was minimized by repositioning the radiating antenna from the head
to the chest, showing that the type of tissue that absorbed the energy
determined the observed changes in the EEG. We conclude that, in normal
use, the fields from a standard cellular telephone can alter brain
function as a consequence of absorption of energy by the brain. (C) 2003

So, it would seem a good idea to keep mobiles well out of the lab, not
least because they produce sounds that can influence brain processes in a
way unrelated to the experiment.
--
best regards,
Tom Campbell                             e-mail:tom.campbell at helsinki.fi
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies  tel: +358-9 191 23256
University of Helsinki, Finland          fax: +358-9 191 22924
P.O.Box 4 (Fabianinkatu 24)              home: +358-4 154 09764
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland