[Eeglablist] Varying number of channels and computing grand mean ERPs

Arnaud Delorme arno at salk.edu
Mon Jul 18 18:06:54 PDT 2005

Dear Edward,

there is definitelly no easy answer to your question. The easiest way to
deal with this issue would be to write a small script. If you have all
the epochs for all the channels in EEGLAB and a cell array containing
the epochs labelled as "good" for each channel, for instance

 > goodepochs = { [ 2 5 6 8 9 ... ] [ 3 4 8 9 ... ] ...};

meaning that epochs 2, 5, 6, 8, 9 etc... are good for the first channel,
and epochs 3,4, 8, 9 are good for the second channel, you may then
compute the ERP for all channels

 > for chan = 1:EEG.nbchan
 >     ERP(chan,:) = mean(EEG.data(chan,:,goodepoch{chan});
 > end;

A trick would be then to save the ERP in the EEG dataset

EEG.data = ERP;
EEG.event = [];
[ALLEEG EEG CURRENTSET] = eeg_store(ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET); % update
EEGLAB memory
eeglab redraw % update EEGLAB GUI

so you can use the grand average function in the menu once you have
performed this operation for all datasets (all datasets contain then 1
trial which is the ERP).

Hope this help,
best,

Arno

--

*Arnaud Delorme, Ph.D.*
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, INC, University of San

*Tel* :/(+1)-858-458-1927 ext 15/
*Fax* :/(+1)-858-458-1847/
*Web page*: sccn.ucsd.edu/~arno <http://www.sccn.ucsd.edu/%7Earno>
*To think upon*:

    Life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced.

        /Siren Kierkegaard/