[Eeglablist] out of memory

Toby Fernsler toby at sccn.ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 7 15:47:07 PST 2005

I found that it is possible to import much larger EGI files by using
command line arguements rather than the GUI. Something like:

 >>EEG = pop_readegi(datafilefromegi.raw, []);
 >>EEG.chanlocs=pop_chanedit(EEG.chanlocs,'load',{ chan_locs_file,
'filetype', 'autodetect'});
 >>EEG = pop_importepoch(EEG,epocfilefromegi.epoc,...

{'condition','uselessdata1',uselessdata2'},'timeunit',1,'headerlines',0,'clearevents','off');
then save the variable with a ".set" extension instead of a ".mat" one
(but in that format), run EEGLAB and load the saved file.

If it has to use virtual memory it will get VERY slow, but it's probably
still running. I've seen big files take an hour or two to load. If you
run out of memory Matlab will tell you.

Matlab has a memory fragmentation problem: if you want to load a 600MB
file it needs a contiguous 600MB block of memory to load it into. If
Matlab has been running for awhile the memory will have become quite
fragmented and that size a chunk may not exist. So if you are having
memory problems restarting Matlab may cure it.

Toby Fernsler