[Eeglablist] Can amygdala activity be detected on the scalp?

Bradley Voytek semiconscious at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:02:40 PST 2005

Teresa--

I'm sorry to say that the location of the amygdala in the anterior,
inferior, medial temporal lobe makes the attenuation due to distance
such that getting ERPs would be nearly impossible. Source localization
is limited because much of the signal from the amygdala is not being
recorded--it's on the ventral surface of the brain.

The neurons in the amygdala are not as well aligned as in the cortex,
thus making dipole localization rather difficult: you'd get a lot of
cancelling effects due to different neuronal orientation.

As for other limbic structures, the cingulate cortex has proven to be
a fairly reliable source of ERPs, so that is likely your best bet.
Without depth-electrodes, I just don't think you're going to get
signal from other limbic regions (hippocampus, hypothalamus, amygdala,
etc.)

So, that's my impression.

--brad voytek