[Eeglablist] ICA decomposition with 128 versus 64 channels?

Arnaud Delorme arno at salk.edu
Fri Jan 20 11:30:03 PST 2006

>I've heard from one EEGLAB user that 128 channels don't confer much advantage
>over 64, since inputs must be spatially downsampled in order to be processed
>practically on typical computing hardware

Standard computers with 1Gb of RAM can process a standard 100 to 200Mb
dataset with 128 channels (and run ICA). It is the lower limit though.

>, and since the independent components
>of interest (those from neural sources) don't become much cleaner with 128
>inputs as compared to 64.

They do become cleaner. It is important to have as many channels as
possible if you want to perform source localization. For instance, in
EEGLAB, DIPFIT will return residual variance on the collection of all
data channels. If you can model one component with a single dipole and
the residual variance is 2%, it is much more convincing if you have 128
channels than if you have 64. The reason is a single dipole (5 numbers)
was able to explain a scalp map containing 128 numbers (in contrast to
64). Since ICA does not take into account the spatial localization of
channels (and thus there is no reason for scalp maps to end up being
modeled with a single equivalent dipoles), it is much more convincing to
conclude than an independent component represent the activity from a
single part of cortex when you have 128 channels than when you have 64.

Also, testing (not published) I have done with 256 channels show that
the (single) dipole localization for ICA component becomes less stable
when using less than 70 channels (in term of spatial localization). I
reduced gradually the number of channels (using standard montages) and
then performed dipole localization. The exact localization did not
change much between 256, 128, and 70, but broke down below 70, and was
dramatically different with 32 channels (more than 1 cm off). This would
have to be validated in a larger study though.