[Eeglablist] determine the origin of the coordinates of the electrode positions.

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at fcdonders.ru.nl
Sat Feb 11 03:25:52 PST 2006

Dear Xian

The MNI or SPM coordinate system is related to the anterior and
posterior commusura (AC and PC), i.e. two distinct points in the
ventricular system *inside* the brain which can bee seen in a MRI.
The standard way to describe electrode locations is by relating them
to points that can be measured *outside* the brain, and it is common
to use the preauricular points (or alternatively the earcanal) and
the nasion, i.e. the bridge of the nose.

If you want to use the electrodes (which I presume you now have
defined in mm with respect to the AC, i.e. MNI coordinates) in
combination with the spherical BESA head model, you can use the
inverse of the transformation matrix that Arno described in the
previous mail:

besa2spm = [
     0.0101   -0.9400         0    0.5588
     1.1889    0.0080    0.0530  -18.0041
    -0.0005   -0.0000    1.1268    1.8045
          0         0         0    1.0000 ];

spm2besa = inv(besa2spm);

See Arno's previous mail which explains how to use this homogenous
transformation matrix on each of your electrode positions (electrode
positions can be transformed exactly in the same way as dipole
positions).

More detailled information about various coordinate systems used in
EEG, MEG and MRI analyses is pressent at http://www2.ru.nl/fcdonders/
fieldtrip/1041.html.

best regards,
Robert