[Eeglablist] ERSP baseline

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 30 12:01:53 PST 2006

arno wrote:

>> After reading through the timef code, it seems that the baseline
>> window include all the center points for the FFT window, so a -1 to 0
>> (seconds) baseline would have its last FFT window centered on either
>> -1 or 0 (ms) and data from 0-63 or 64ms would contribute to the mean
>> baseline power.  If anyone disagrees please let me know.
>
> Yes, this is correct and this is a good point. We should use baseline
> that ends before time 0 (using the 'baseline' command line option).
> This is especially important for low frequencies.
> Best, Arno

I have updated the timef() help message to make this fact explicit. We
should also add to the tutorial the caustion that to insure no post-0
data are used the baseline period must end 1/2-window before latency 0.
Getting an adequate amount of baseline data may then require longer
epochs, though (e.g., > -1 s).

Scott