[Eeglablist] channel cross-coherence

Brian Roach Brian.Roach at yale.edu
Sat May 13 11:09:57 PDT 2006

I am also wondering about this.
This publication
(http://www.sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/download/eeglab_jnm03.pdf) states:

ERCOH. EEGLAB function crossf() computes eventrelated
coherence (ERCOH) between two channel or
component activities in sets of trials to determine the
degree of synchronization between the two activity
measures. As for ITC, both phase coherence
(ERPCOH) and linear coherence (ERLCOH) measures
are supported. Other phase coherence measures have
not (yet) been included in EEGLAB (e.g., Lachaux et
al., 1999).

Is the difference between the crossf measure and the Lachaux measure that
crossf takes amplitude/power into account and Lachaux's method would only
look at synchrony, not amplitude?  Is the Lachaux method going to be
supported in this upcoming version of eeglab?

Also, my math background is such that I am not entirely sure I understand
the difference between linear and phase options in crossf.  Is the critical
difference that phase coherence is relative and linear coherence is
not.  Maybe this would make more sense if I knew where or why you would
select one option over the other.

thanks,
Brian