[Eeglablist] Applying runica on a synthetic dataset

xristos-alex el01329 at central.ntua.gr
Thu Jun 1 05:51:20 PDT 2006

Hello to everybody and congratulations for this project!
I 've tried to apply infomax ICA (runica function - EEGlab v4.515 under
Matlab 6) to a synthetic dataset of my own and the components I get aren't
the correct ones. The synthetic dataset that I 've constructed consists of 3
channels of 24001 datapoints each. Every channel is a linear combination of
a triangular pulse function, a sine function and a cosine function. When I
use jader() or sobi() the components are ok. The sampling frequency is
400Hz.
The Matlab functions that I 've used are :

For the sin waveform (f = 6Hz)
t1 = 0:0.0025:60;
hmi = sin(12*pi*t1);

For the cosin waveform (f = 8Hz)
t2 = 0:0.0025:60;
syn = cos(16*pi*t2);

For the triangular pulse waveform (f = 4Hz)
t3 = 0:0.0025:60;
d = 0:0.0025:0.25;
tri = 0 + zeros(1, 24001);

for i = 0:239
    up = 1 + 100*i;
    down = 101 + 100*i;
    tri(1,up:down) = d;
end

For the synthetic dataset
synthetic_dataset(1,1:24001)=2*syn+3*cos+4*tri
synthetic_dataset(2,1:24001)=5*syn+6*cos+7*tri
synthetic_dataset(3,1:24001)=8*syn+9*cos+tri

Finally I import the synthetic_dataset matrix into EEGlab as a Matlab array.

What am I doing the wrong way?
I need some help. I'm looking forward to any response.
Thank you in advance!
Christos Chantzis
Athens - Greece