[Eeglablist] Lachaux' synchrony method

Jim Kroger jkroger at nmsu.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:44:59 PDT 2006

Hello, I'm trying to implement Jean-Phillipe Lachaux' method for measuring
synchrony across two electrodes in an EEGLAB compatible script. There are a
few items he does not explain, and I wonder if anybody knows about this and
can fill in the gaps.

First, in his form of bootstrapping, he states:

we generate 200 new series of variables, which have the same
characteristics as the original signal coming from electrode 2, except that
we built them to be independent of the signals coming from electrode 1.
These series are created by shuffling the trials within the measures of
electrode 2 to make new series y'(n) = y(shuffle(n)), where (i) is the
signal recorded at electrode 2 during trial"

I don't understand how he has shuffled the data, or created his surrogate
data. I can imagine many ways to do it but would like to know how he did
it. He also mentions he mimics the characteristics as the original signal.
It's not clear what "characteristics" he chose, or if they are necessary
and sufficient for his bootstrapping method to work.

By the way, another oddity, he is using a Gabor wavelet, but in his figure,
states he uses a morlet wavelet. I suppose this is an error, and wouldn't
ultimately matter.

Thanks for any enlightenment....

Jim