[Eeglablist] timef winsize and padratio variables

arno arno at salk.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:07:44 PDT 2006

Dear Brian,
> tmpX = fft(tmpX,g.padratio*g.winsize);
>
> I am wondering, does the padratio actually increase the size of the
> fft window?  The comments from
>
> >>help fft
>
> imply that the second argument in fft(x,*n*) is the window size.  This
> would mean that the FFT window used by timef is not actually equal to
> the winsize, but the winsize*padratio.  That can be a big difference,
> depending on how large the padratio.  Is that actually true?  If so,
> why does the command line spit out "results are oversampled N times"
> where N = padratio?  Are the results actually oversampled or is the
> FFT window size just that much larger?  I understand that the larger
> the padratio, the more frequency output bins returned (and the smaller
> these are), but if the padratio does not just make the fft window
> larger, what is it doing and why would it not always be set to 1?
tmpX is the data itself and has a size equal to g.winsize. This is what
we call the window size. The g.padratio factor only multiply this window
size (0 padding) to artificially increase the frequency resolution. I
agree that the documentation is not totally clear and we will make it
clearer.

Hope this helps,

Arno