[Eeglablist] Component scalp maps and dipoles

arno arno at salk.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:57:02 PDT 2006

Dear Victoria,
> I’m using the DIPFIT plug-in to obtain dipoles from the independent
> components given by ICA. I want to know what is the physical meaning
> of the component scalp maps and what is their relation with the
> dipoles, I mean how are the dipoles found from these maps?
This is a long story. I suggest trying to understand what is inverse and
forward modeling.
I would suggest for instance one of the original BESA manual. It has the
mathematics (in the appendix) and the philosophy (in the introduction).
There might be better reads too. You should ask around.
ftp://ftp.besa.de/updates/besa_version_3.0/besa22_manuals.exe