[Eeglablist] Heisenberg, .....

M V Chilukuri mahendra.chilukuri at mmu.edu.my
Thu Oct 5 02:32:15 PDT 2006

Dear Asefa,

S-Transform(Stockwell Transform) is a time-frequency technique with better
resolution in time and frequency. In fact, it is very useful for non-stationary
signal analysis, unlike Fourier transform which is applicable to only
stationary signals. Many practical application involves analysis of non
stationary signals, and they are often corrupted with noise. In such a scenario
Generalized S-Transform/Hyperbolic S-Transform/Complex S-Transform are very
useful in extracting information from the signal. However, these techniques use
analytical signal to obtain time-frequency plots and analytical signal is
obtained from Hilbert Transform of real signal. Also, they give better
resolution than STFT(poor resolution)/Wigner-Ville distribution(suffers from
cross terms). There may be many techniques coming out in future.

Sincerely,
M V Chilukuri