[Eeglablist] How to recognize successful ICA (number of data points issue)

arno arno at salk.edu
Thu Oct 26 20:50:36 PDT 2006

Dear Jim,

good components are components that look like they can be modeled using
one (or two symmetrical) dipoles. We are actually preparing a report
comparing how "good" different ICA algorithms are with respect to this
measure. The minimum amount of data points should be (the number of
channels)^2 (because that is the number of value in the ICA weight
matrix and you want at least one data point per value in this matrix).
If not, you should use PCA to reduce the number of dimensions ('pca'
option of runica()). You can also compare how "good" your decomposition
is with or without PCA. From our experience, if you use PCA, you obtain
less dipolar components (which make sense because you obtain less
components overall).

Hope this helps,