[Eeglablist] time/frequency baseline length

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 07:40:45 PDT 2006

Ayelet -

With a window size of 64 ms, you should not expect to have frequency
resolution below about 1000/64 ~ 16 Hz. Are you interested only in frequencies
higher than this?  Otherwise, you should definitely use a longer baseline
(even if your experimental events occur frequently).  We typically use -1s
to +2s for time/frequency analyses. The -1s allows a pre-event baseline
calculation using a 3-cycle window at 3-Hz and above -- and the +2s allows
use to see spectral events that occur later than 1s after the event (Makeig,
Elect. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1993).

Scott Makeig