[Eeglablist] channel coherence

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 30 15:27:39 PST 2008

It is important to remember than coherence as defined in EEGLAB

Delorme, A., Makeig, S. (2004) EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for
analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component
analysis. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 134(1), 9-21.

can only be computed when data epochs are present. For continuous data,
the function crossf (or newcrossf) will only compute the phase
difference between the two signal (the amplitude of the coherence will
be 1 but the phase might still vary). No significance may be assessed in
this case (although it would be possible in theory to assess the
stability of the phase difference - which is supposed to be random).