[Eeglablist] RE : presentation software

Andre Achim achim.andre at uqam.ca
Wed Feb 13 14:34:09 PST 2008

While Presentation and E-Prime include processes to gain very high operating
system priority, in order to insure precise timing, a regular version of
MATLAB clearly does not. I was never confirmed that PsychToolBox includes
such processes; hopefully, it does. A typical ERP applications would likely
yield degraded averages if the time interval between the event pulse and the
actual delivery of the stimulus fluctuates depending on the availability of
the operating system to produce these two event, among other more mundane
tasks that it accomplishes. Preparing stimuli with MATLAB is one thing, but
if someone interpreted your message as meaning that the stimuli could be
delivered in regular MATLAB, it becomes important to warn against doing so.

André Achim