[Eeglablist] Fw: question on SICA approach

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 09:19:19 PST 2008

Frederica -
  You've misinterpreted -- ICA learns a (channels,channels) unmixing matrix,
so the number of data frames (time points) needed to separate as many
components increases as the square of the number of channels. The faq is a
bit out of date -- in our work with 72-256 channel data in the lab, we have
found that as the channel density becomes high, good ICA solutions typically
require a considerable multiple of the channel number squared (up to 30 or
more for 256-channel data).

For 148-channel data I would like to collect 30*128^2 ~ 650k (~40 min of
data at 256 Hz) ... though it could well be that smaller data sets could
also give useful solutions. I will update the faq to better reflect this,
and will try to do a numerical study to get a more detailed heuristic
understanding.

Scott Makeig

On Feb 16, 2008 2:36 AM, Federica Di Grazia <federicadigrazia at hotmail.com>