[Eeglablist] re Shielding paint: unlikely to work

Balaji Lakshmanan lakshmanan at kennedykrieger.org
Thu Mar 13 07:44:19 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Just to follow up on this shielding issue e-mails..

I know different people have different opinions on shielding. In our unshielded EEG  lab we see hell lot of 60 Hz artifact and few other artificats whose nature is unknown. There are two obvious reasons I could see. One, there is Chiller placed right below our floor for cooling our 3T magnet.. Second, there is a electrical junction box that runs through our wall outside our room.

I just wanted to know if ANY kind of shielding can prevent the electrical interference from these sources? I would really appreciate if anybody can chip in their thoughts from their experience regarding this.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Balaji

>>> "Fouquet N.C." <N.C.Fouquet at swansea.ac.uk> 1/21/2008 10:00 AM >>>
In the lab where I work, it's 50 Hz (UK).
I had contacted a collaborator who is now working in a company doing EMF
testing, for his advice on that sort of paint shielding etc stuff for my
lab and basically what he said was that the problem was more likely to
be an eathing or earthing loop issue ("50 Hz noise is very often from
injected or stray currents rather than radiated fields"). And in his
opinion and experience, it's very hard to shield against 50 Hz fields,
and metal wallpaper etc won't work too well.

I personally didn't pursue the idea any further.

Sorry guys,
Nathalie

Disclaimer:
The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. Please note that e-mail is not necessarily confidential or secure. Your use of e-mail constitutes your acknowledgment of these confidentiality and security limitations. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return e-mail.