[Eeglablist] Filtering trouble

Jakub Szewczyk jakub.szewczyk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 09:40:31 PDT 2008

Hello Erin and Andreas, hello everybody,

>> Additionally, it seems I am unable to use 0.1 Hz as the lower edge of
>> my accepted band -- when I try to do the highpass step, I get the
>> following error:
>> Filter error: continuous data portion too narrow (DC removed if
highpass only)
>> Processing continuous data (307201:450306)
>> eegfilt() - performing 7680-point highpass filtering.
>> eegfilt() - highpass transition band width is 0.01 Hz.

> 0.1 Hz is an extreme filter. The shorter the transition band the higher
> the filter order/length, and the EEGLAB built-in fir filter requires the
> epoch to be longer than some multiples of filter length. Do you really
> need the cutoff frequency to be so low? Using 0.5 Hz might already help.

I seem to have the same trouble.
I can't succesfully apply highpass filters of satystyingly low
magnitude (like 0.01 Hz) in EEGLAB.
* FIR filter breaks because of memory problems (I have 2gb): at 256hz
sampling rate the lowest limit for the filter seems 0.5hz; for 128Hz
it works for 0.1hz, but not for 0.05hz.
* FFT linear filter works but introduces a very large signal distortion
* IIR filter again seems to be sensitive to sampling rate: for 256hz
breaks at 0.1hz, for 128hz at 0.05hz - in such a case it computes a
new empty dataset (filled with NaNs), reporting many "Matrix is close
to singular or badly scaled." warnings.

Is there any way to bypass this? I work on data acquired by Biosemi
amplifier, having practically no hardware highpass filters, so I need
a software highpass filter to clean the data, but with a reasonably
low threshold (0.01)
And yes, that low (0.01 Hz) filter is a must for me, since higher
highpass thresholds distort ERPs and are no longer happily accepted by
reviewers (at least in my field).

with best regards
Jakub Szewczyk
Psychophysiology Lab