[Eeglablist] [Fwd: Eye Movement Artifacts and Filtering]

Timothy O'Keefe [BROWN] timothy_okeefe at brown.edu
Thu May 15 05:56:16 PDT 2008

EEGLAB Users,

I might try to "inject" my opinion here, for whatever it's worth.

Among other endeavors involving ICA, I've had significant dealings with
ocular artifact "correction" using EEGLAB/ICA. Now, while I'm not an
"expert" by any means, I would like to provide some food for thought.
What it will feed has yet to be determined :)

So far as introducing bipolar electrodes - or anything for that matter -
into the input matrix, I was always under the assumption that it should
not matter as ICA should not determine any relationships which include
these nonsense(?) data.

As for "cleaning" EEG data. This is one problem that I've found
particularly frustrating. My inner demon has me questioning *exactly*
which components EOG - or the influences of EOG - manifest?
How does one test this with a measurable degree of certainty? Better
yet, how does one test this without making assumptions? How good of an
indicator of "cleanliness" is a "flat" EOG ERP anyways? Pretty good?
Good enough? Is it enough to bet your life on (where some of us might
be!!)?

Best,
Tim

Timothy M. O'Keefe