[Eeglablist] ICA on epochs

arno delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 8 23:33:40 PDT 2008

Dear Andre,

yes, you should remove baseline, but you should be careful that the
baseline length is long enough. According to an unpublished study by
David Groppe, if the baseline is too short (~100 ms) ICA component
reliability degrades critically. This is because you are introducing
non-linearity by removing the baseline (if there are common generators
that could be isolated by ICA and project linearly to each channel,
you are making it harder for ICA by subtracting a constant from each
channel activity - since this common source cannot project linearly to
all channel any more).

I would personally recommend a baseline period of 1 second.
Hope this helps,

Arno