[Eeglablist] Pros & cons of Butterworth filter order

Wambua Kazi wambua.kazi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:05:13 PDT 2008

Hello,
  I am trying to figure out how to bandpass filter an EEG data set.  From
skimming the literature it appears that Butterworth filters are  commonly
used for filtering EEG data and strike a good compromise between the
steepness of the transition band and ripples in the pass and stop bands.
It's also clear to me that the higher the order of the filter, the steeper
the transition band.  Are there any cons to using a higher order Butterworth
filter?
       thank you for your help,
            -Wambua

wambua.kazi at gmail.com