[Eeglablist] advice on exporting to cartool

Hamish Innes-Brown hinnesbrown at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:36:39 PDT 2008

Hi there, I'm writing to the list to see if anyone has any advice on
how best to export data from EEGLAB to Cartool...

http://brainmapping.unige.ch/Cartool.htm

I have the data in a variety of forms in EEGLAB - continuous, epoched
and averaged.  The best thing (I think) would be to export the
continuous data in a format that Cartool can read, preferably a format
that contains all the event onformation as well, like neuroscan .EEG
(this is just one I know) or EDF.

I looked into it a bit, and discovered the Biosig toolbox distributed
with EEGlab can read and write EDF, using the "ssave()" command.

> help ssave
>   SSAVE saves signal data in various data formats
>
>   Currently are the following data formats supported:
>      EDF, BDF, GDF, BKR, SND/AU, (WAV, AIF)
>      and WSCORE event file
>
>   HDR = ssave(HDR,data);
>   HDR = ssave(FILENAME,data,TYPE,Fs);
>
>   FILENAME      name of file
>   data  signal data, each column is a channel
>   TYPE 	determines dataformat
>   Fs	sampling rate
>
>   see also: ssave, sopen, swrite, sclose, doc/README

  Horay! But am I right in thinking this command will simply accept a
matrix with rows=samples...  And no provision for events or epochs?
So I would have to firstly elect data by each stimulus type, and then
export a version of [EEG.data] where all the epochs in the 3rd
dimension were concatenated together, and then hope that there is some
way to re-segment in cartool...

Then I searched my archives of eeglablist emails for a dim memory -
the writecnt function.  This looks like it might do the trick, except
that my data are already epoched, and there is no equivalent
"writeeeg" to write a neuroscan epoched *.eeg file...

Any tips - has anyone opened ICA-filtered epochs from EEGLAB in
Cartool before?

Thanks!

-hamish0