[Eeglablist] ERP analyses and average referencing

Yvonne Tran Yvonne.Tran at uts.edu.au
Tue Sep 16 19:20:43 PDT 2008

Dear All

We are currently working with spinal cord injured participants and have recorded some oddball data. We have been using A1 and A2 mastoid for reference channels, however, with this particular group we are experiencing increased muscle tension in this region (which cannot be prevented, as some participants are unaware that they are tensing up), and therefore when the data are re-referenced the other EEG channels become flooded with muscle tension noise. This can be overcome when we re-reference using average referencing. My question is how many electrodes (evenly distributed around the scalp) will be ok for average referencing for ERP analyses? We have 26 EEG channels.

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated!

Thank you
regards
Yvonne

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.