[Eeglablist] ERSP Conversion: dB to Microvolts-squared

Thomas Ferree tom.ferree at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 07:57:18 PDT 2008

Zach,

I will take a stab at this, and let Arno correct me on any details.  My
description
applies only to the short-window Fourier transform method.  I don't know
about wavelets.

The EEGLAB function timef takes the log of post-stimulus power in each time
window, and the log of pre-stimulus power averaged over the
pre-stimulus time window, and averages over epochs to get a good
statistical estimate.  It takes the ratio of these times 10 to get dB.
That is the same as taking the ratio of raw powers then taking the log,
since log(a/b) = log(a) - log(b).  Note the log is base 10, so the inverse
is
10^ not exp.  So, roughly speaking, you can take ERSP/10, take 10^, and
multiply by the baseline power which is stored in the variable powbase.
That will give you approximately power in uV^2.  Taking the sqrt gives
approximately uV.

However, if you wanted a function that would give you a value of 2 when a
2 uV sine wave is passed in, you need to do considerably more bookkeeping.
I will list the main issues.  First, cosine tapering, if done, reduces the
power
but this can be corrected by dividing by a suitable factor.  Second, there
are several ways that people normalize the Fourier transform and the
various definitions of power (average power, total power, power spectral
density) and these all differ by factors of the number of time points passed
to FFT, the sample rate, etc.  Third, zero-padding to increase frequency
resolution increases the number of time points but not the power, and
this changes the power by a factor of padratio.  The function timef does
not keep careful track of these kinds of factors, because they cancel in
the definition of ERSP as a ratio, so they do not matter.  The prescription
above will give you something that is proportional to, but not exactly
equal to uV.

--
Thomas Ferree, PhD
Department of Radiology