[Eeglablist] ERP analyses and average referencing

arno delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 18 04:15:53 PDT 2008

Dear Yvonne,

average referencing is always incorrect. The amount of current going
in and out of the head is assumed to be 0. Using that properties,
average referencing means that the average potential across all
electrode is 0 at all times. However, you cannot expect that the
electrode spatial distribution will be homogenous over the head
(because first you cannot put any within the neck, and there is
usually no electrode on the face etc...). It is generally assumed that
the current flowing within the neck is negligible (because of high
conductances).

As an answer to your question, if your electrode repartition is
relatively homogenous on the scalp, then you may use average
reference. Nevertheless, average reference will not make it easy to
compare between montages.

Best regards,

Arno