[Eeglablist] Computing a second ICA on a dataset

Jan R. Wessel Jan.Wessel at nf.mpg.de
Fri Nov 7 08:01:00 PST 2008

Hey everybody,

I'm analyzing an EEG dataset on an eye-movement task. In order to cope
with the massive eye-movement artifacts, I computed a normal ICA on the
dataset and got rid of all the oviously eye-movement related components.
Now, I'm trying to compute a second ICA in order to clean up the data
even more, because there is still considerable saccadic activity in most
of the datasets.

When I'm doing this, I'm running into a series of problems. Seemingly
depending on the memory of the machine I am running it on, a) either the
ICA takes days to compute for a single subject, b) or Matlab terminates
without any prompt, leaving me with a "segmentation fault" in the unix
terminal or c) if it runs until the end, it seems to give me (and here
comes the really weird part) complex numbers (!) such as
"0.009259085778863 + 0.013638045843933i" as ICA weights. When I display
the component activations, I get some funny activation spots in the
bottom left corner of the plot, while the rest of the plot is blank.
This effect is regardless of which epochs I display.

So obviously, the second ICA doesn't really seem to work out. Does
anybody have any experience with consecutive ICA analyses or has even
come across the same problem and can maybe help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
best,
Jan

--