[Eeglablist] Computing a second ICA on a dataset

Germán Gómez-Herrero german.gomezherrero at tut.fi
Thu Nov 13 00:29:49 PST 2008

Hi Jan,
Applying ICA in several consecutive runs is usually not a good idea unless
you take special precautions to avoid using rank-deficient data in your ICA
estimation. Also, running ICA several times will not let you (in general)
obtain sources that you did not obtain already in the first run. The
problems that you experience are a typical result of trying to apply ICA on
rank-deficient data.

If you had a 20-channels EEG data and in the first ICA run you removed 10
components, this means that in the second run you will not be able to
extract more than 10 independent components (even you still have 20 EEG
channels). This is because in the first ICA run you already removed 10
spatial components out of the 20 that you needed to describe perfectly your
original EEG dynamics. If you try to apply ICA and extract 20 independent
components out of this "rank-deficient" data the result will be inaccurate
in the best case and non-sense in the worst (e.g. an imaginary separating
matrix or just a crash). Probably the easiest solution to this problem is to
always run PCA before ICA so that you ensure that your data covariance
matrix is well-conditioned. Check the attached main.m file to see what I
mean.

I would suggest EEGLAB's developers to enforce this pre-conditioning step in
the function runica to avoid other users running into the same problems.

Hope that helps,
Germán

Germán Gómez-Herrero
M. Sc., Researcher
Tampere University of Technology
P.O. Box 553, FI-33101, Tampere, Finland
Phone:   +358 3 3115 4519
Mobile:  +358 40 5011256
Fax:     +358 3 3115 4989
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~gomezher/index.htm