[Eeglablist] Running a Second ICA

Julie Onton julie at sccn.ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 9 09:24:10 PST 2008

David,

You can find out how many 'dimensions' your data contains (and therefore how many ICA components
you can realistically expect) by typing:

>> rank(EEG.data)

If the number returned is less than the number of channels, then you will need to run PCA on the
data before ICA.

Subjects need not have the same number of ICs (as they need not have the same number of channels
either). Even if you start with these two factors equal, different subjects are bound to have a
different numbers of 'dipolar' or brain-like components. If your strategy is rather to remove
artifact components and back-project to channels, the answer is still the same because you can't
expect all subjects to have the same type and amount of artifact activity. As long as you are
confident that what you are removing is identifiable artifact, I think it is valid to remove
different numbers of these components across subjects.

Hope this helps,  Julie

--
Julie Onton, PhD
Institute for Neural Computation