[Eeglablist] Can EEGLAB skip ICA decomposition prior to source localization?

Min Bao ustcbm at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Dec 30 16:12:53 PST 2008

Hi experts,

I am new to source localization analysis. I've read the eeglab tutorial on dipfit. It seems ICA is necessary before doing dipfit. However, the ICA usually generates N components if there are N electrodes in the data. Selecting the appropriate component for dipfit is such a subjective step which makes a newbie like me very confused and uncomfortable. Could anyone tell me why the ICA is a necessary step prior to dipfit? Can we do source localization merely on the averaged epoch (ERP) rather than an independent component? Thanks a lot for any direction!

Best wishes,

Min Bao