[Eeglablist] automated detection of slow wave sleep periods in intracranial EEG

Erin Wamsley EWamsley at bidmc.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:01:46 PST 2011

Athena-

Unfortunately, the only strongly reliable way to pull out periods of slow
wave sleep is to score this data by hand, marking every epoch that you want
to include.  Although there are some automated sleep scoring algorithms out
there, reliability is generally not great, and I am not aware of any
automated scoring method which has been applied to intracranial data. In
EEGLab, the simplest thing to do would be to manually highlight and delete
all non slow-wave periods using the artifact rejection tool (Tools > Reject
continuous data).  Alternatively, you could use an outside program to
classify each 30sec epoch according to sleep stage, and then use the ³select
data² function to select a list of time periods that were classified as slow
wave sleep ‹ but I am not aware of any existing script for doing this type
of sleep scoring in MatLab/EEGLab ‹ does anyone else know of something?

Best,
Erin Wamsley

Erin J. Wamsley, Ph.D.
Instructor, Harvard Medical School