[Eeglablist] newtimef baselining

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Fri May 20 11:32:40 PDT 2011

Dear Chris,

the average baseline computed in newtimef is indeed performed before the log transformation. However, we divide the trial values by the baseline power, so the average baseline before log transformation is 1. Then transforming to the log, the average baseline can slightly off 0. Consider signal a

a = rand(1,10);

Then the baseline period is value 1 to 3

b = a./mean(a(1:3));

then we take the log

c1 = log10(b)

which is equivalent to

c2 = log10(a) - log10(mean(a(1:3)))

However,

mean(c1(1:3)) is not equal to 0. Log is used mostly for visualization in this case (although it is useful for making the data more normal if you are doing parametric statistics). The important is that the average baseline before taking the log is 1. mean(b(1:3)) = 1. If you do not take the log, you can visualize your data in % of baseline (this is possible in newtimef).

I guess if we really wanted to have the baseline exactly to 0 with the log, we would have to compute

c3 = log10(a) - (log10(a(1))+log10(a(2))+log10(a(3)))/3

I have not heard of this formulation though. It might be more rigorous when using parametric statistics because the baseline is strictly 0. Could someone expert in parametric testing comment on that?

Thanks,

Arno