[Eeglablist] using pop_eegplot and eeg_eegrej in a script

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Thu Jun 16 08:10:02 PDT 2011

Hi Chang,

1- Regarding your questions about to the number of channels plotted in
the scroll figure...

You can have more control over the scroll plot if you call eegplot.m
rather than pop_eegplot.m. In order to plot 30 channels with a scroll
bar the following will work:

eegplot(EEG.data, ...
	'eloc_file',EEG.chanlocs, ...
	'dispchans',30 ...
	);

If instead you would like to only plot specified channels, the
following creates a "chaninds" vector containing the channel indices
to plot, then calls eegplot while reducing the data and chanlocs to
the specified channels:

chaninds=[2,4,6,8];
eegplot(EEG.data(chaninds,:,:), ...
	'eloc_file',EEG.chanlocs(chaninds) ...
	);

When using eegplot instead of pop_eegplot you will notice that by
default there is no "Reject" or "Update Marks" button in the bottom
right corner of the scroll plot. To include the "reject" button you
need to specify a string that will be evaluated following the closing
of the figure. See the eeg_rejmacro.m file that contains some example
code for handling rejection options in eegplot. The following is an
example string adapted from code in eeg_rejmacro.m for the "command"
optional input to eegplot. This will perform the rejection of trials
when you press the "reject" button in the bottom right corner of the
scroll figure:

%command string for reject marked trials... all marked epochs...
cmd = [ ...
'[tmprej tmprejE] = eegplot2trial( TMPREJ, EEG.pnts,' ...
'				EEG.trials);' ...
'[EEGTMP LASTCOM] = pop_rejepoch(EEG, tmprej, 1);' ...
'if ~isempty(LASTCOM),'...
' [ALLEEG EEG CURRENTSET tmpcom] = pop_newset(ALLEEG, EEGTMP,
CURRENTSET);' ...
' if ~isempty(tmpcom),' ...
'  EEG = eegh(LASTCOM, EEG);' ...
'  eegh(tmpcom);' ...
'  eeglab(''redraw'');' ...
' end;' ...
'end;' ...
'clear EEGTMP tmpcom;' ...
] ;

... then include cmd in the call to eegplot as follows:

chaninds=[2,4,6,8];
eegplot(EEG.data(chaninds,:,:), ...
	'eloc_file',EEG.chanlocs(chaninds), ...
	'command',cmd, ...
	'butlabel','reject' ...
	);

2- Regarding your second question about channel colors by epoch...

The background colors and channel highlights (in red) are determined
by the "winrej" optional input to eegplot (see the eegplot help for
details). The rejection information is stored in the "reject" field of
the EEG structure. To convert the reject field into a winrej array you
can use trial2eegplot.m (or eegplot2trial.m to convert a winrej array
into the reject field of the EEG structure).

The following code manually creates a winrej array in which the trials
2, 6 and 8 will be displayed with a light grey background. Also,
channels 2, 4 and 6 will be red in trials 2, channels 3, 9 and 12 will
be red in trial 6 and channels 6 through 12, 16 and 18 will be red in
trial 8.

%example manual winrej matrix
epoch = [2,6,8];
epochchanind = {[2,4,6],[3,9,12],[6:12,16,18]};

rejepochcol =  [.95, .95, .95];
rejepoch = zeros(1,EEG.trials);
rejepoch(epoch) = ones(1,length(epoch));
rejepochE = zeros(EEG.nbchan,EEG.trials);
for i=1:length(find(rejepoch));
    rejepochE(epochchanind{i},epoch(i))=ones(size(epochchanind{i}));
end

winrej=trial2eegplot(rejepoch,rejepochE,EEG.pnts,rejepochcol);

... then include winrej in the call to eegplot as follows:

eegplot(EEG.data, ...
	'eloc_file',EEG.chanlocs, ...
	'winrej',winrej ...
	);

James Desjardins
Technician, MA Student
Department of Psychology, Behavioural Neuroscience
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON, Canada
L2S 3A1