[Eeglablist] using BCILAB to deploy different approaches on BCI competition dataset

Mehdi Karamnejad mehdi.karamnejad at srttu.edu
Thu Jun 16 08:06:02 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy some approaches of BCILAB on BCI competition IV
dataset  1 (here <http://www.bbci.de/competition/iv/desc_1.html> is the link
to description of this dataset)
I take the following steps:

   1. cnt matrix  contains raw continues EEG data in volts and I first
   convert the values to micro volts . cnt matrix also arranges data in the
   form of  time x channels so I take the transpose of the matrix to produce a
   matrix in the form of channels x time
   2. for testing reasons and making processes much less time-consuming , I
   just extracted a small portion of the signal to import into EEGLAB
   3. then I imported the extracted signal into EEGLAB  along with it's
   channel location
   4. then I had to create the  Events because BCILAB needs it, I did this
   using  File>> Import event info >> From data channel  and picked 59 as my
   event channel and left other options as default since I'm not sure what they
   do yet.
   ** 59 is the number of entire channels . I'm not sure what my events are
   although I've read the EEGLAB wiki, *could someone tell me what are
   experimental events in EEG signals? and how can I figure out which
   channel(s) are the event channels?
   *
   5. then I saved all of my work as an EEGLAB dataset and loaded it into
   BCILAB and created a new CSP approach. when modifying the approach I don't
   know what to fill in for "Epoch time window relative to the events" and
   "Event marker types for which epochs shall be extracted " . for the second
   one I have read a tutorial which  's 1''s 2' is filled in but I don't
   really understand what this means and when I try to train my model I get an
   error with these settings.
   *could you please explain to me what ** "Event marker types for which
   epochs shall be extracted " is?*

and could you tell me what do I generally need  to do to make my dataset
appropriate for loading into BCILAB? (for now appropriate enough to use the
CSP approach )
Regards, Mehdi Karamnejad
Rajaee Artificial Intelligence & Robotics Laboratory  , Shahid Rajee
University