[Eeglablist] Importing Neuroscan Quick Cap Electrode locations

jeremy harper jbh08c at fsu.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:03:33 PDT 2011

Hi Nicole,

If your Quik-cap uses the NSL layout (i.e., numeric labeling) rather than the standard 10 percent system (e.g., CZ, CPZ, etc.), you'll need to import a custom .asc or .dat file for your montage. I'm using the same system, and here is what I've done to get the channel locations:

I received a .dat file with channel locations from Neuroscan, and from that created a .ced file which contains channel locations for all of the scalp channels. When I imported the .dat file, I ran into the same problem you're describing (i.e., the channels were clustered in the middle or oddly spaced), so I removed the peripheral channels and then used the optimize head function in the Channel Locations GUI. It seems like the peripherals were throwing off the spacing, and now the 2D and 3D plots look correct.

I've attached three files: the .dat file from Neuroscan, the .ced file I created in EEGLAB, and an Excel sheet I received from Neuroscan that has the 10 percent system analogs for the NSL channels.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy