[Eeglablist] Cortical thought evoked potential

Julie Onton julie at sccn.ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 2 10:26:57 PDT 2011

You'd have to implant electrodes, but...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21471638

J Neural Eng. 2011 Jun;8(3):036004. Epub 2011 Apr 7.
Using the electrocorticographic speech network to control a brain-computer
interface in humans.
Leuthardt EC, Gaona C, Sharma M, Szrama N, Roland J, Freudenberg Z, Solis J,
Breshears J, Schalk G.
SourceDepartment of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St.
Louis, Campus Box 8057, 660 South Euclid, St Louis, MO 63130, USA.
leuthardte at wudosis.wustl.edu

Abstract
Electrocorticography (ECoG) has emerged as a new signal platform for
brain-computer interface (BCI) systems. Classically, the cortical physiology
that has been commonly investigated and utilized for device control in humans
has been brain signals from the sensorimotor cortex. Hence, it was unknown
whether other neurophysiological substrates, such as the speech network, could
be used to further improve on or complement existing motor-based control
paradigms. We demonstrate here for the first time that ECoG signals associated
with different overt and imagined phoneme articulation can enable invasively
monitored human patients to control a one-dimensional computer cursor rapidly
and accurately. This phonetic content was distinguishable within higher gamma
frequency oscillations and enabled users to achieve final target accuracies
between 68% and 91% within 15 min. Additionally, one of the patients achieved
robust control using recordings from a microarray consisting of 1 mm spaced
microwires. These findings suggest that the cortical network associated with
speech could provide an additional cognitive and physiologic substrate for BCI
operation and that these signals can be acquired from a cortical array that is
small and minimally invasive.

--
Julie Onton, PhD
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~julie