[Eeglablist] ICs with identical topographies

Maximilien Chaumon maximilien.chaumon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 06:02:53 PDT 2011

I think I found at least part of the solution to my problem:
I keep the reference channel (in my case an average of all electrodes) in
the dataset. This seems to reduce the rank of the data (the svd vector drops
close to zero on the last value). I think I get an intuition of why it does
so, but how am I supposed to do?
Overall, I've checked, the subjects on which I removed one or more bad
channels (after rereferencing) are fine. Their ICA looks nice, and the svd
values do not drop close to zero on the last value.
The problem is for those for whom I did not remove any bad channel. Their
ICA shows the symptoms shown on my last email, below.

So my questions end up being:
Do I have to reference my data to one electrode and not include it in the
ICA? and if so, why would anyone use an average reference before ICA? what
is recommended? I can't find anything about referencing the data in the
tutorial.

Thanks,
Max