[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Sara Graziadio sara.graziadio at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 07:46:14 PDT 2011

Hello,
I would like just a suggestion about some data cleaning/analysis I am doing. I am doing an ERP analysis and I want to clean my data first with the ICA. In theory, though, I should not use an high-pass cutoff higher than 0.1 Hz to not reduce the erp amplitude. On the other side the ICA does not work well if the high-pass cutoff is lower than 0.5 Hz...what is then the best method to apply? Has anybody tested how robust the ica is with a 0.1Hz filter?
I have also another question: I am doing the analysis on 94 electrodes referenced to Fz. I planned to average reference the data but actually there is quite a large spread of noise on all the electrodes with this method (muscular artefacts for example from the temporal electrodes). But actually almost all the papers are using the average reference so I was surprised, am I the only one having this problem of noise? Would not be better just to keep the Fz reference and then perhaps to average the erps for every different cortical area and do the analysis on these averaged erps?

Thank you very much

Best wishes

Sara Graziadio
Research Associate