[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:56:57 PDT 2011

Hi Sara,

In my experience, using a sharp 1Hz high pass filter is best for ICA, and
doesn't significantly reduce ERP amplitude--the ERPs I know of are at least
2 Hz, so the 1Hz high pass shouldn't be a problem. The main issue is to
eliminate slow drifts in the data which make the mean non-stationary.

If you want to look at low frequencies specifically, you might do low pass
filtering, or band pass between 0.1Hz and say 30 Hz, to try to remove high
frequency sources, leaving only the low frequency sources, but I doubt this
would improve ERP results over a ! Hz high-pass filter.

Average reference is also fine if you are doing ICA after. Spreading muscle
artifacts etc. to other channels is not a problem since ICA will remove the
muscle activity etc. and put it in a single source (usually).

After you do average reference, the data rank goes down by 1, so if you have
94 channels avg referenced, ICA should give you back 93 components/sources.

Hope this is helpful.

Jason