[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Stefan Debener stefan.debener at uni-oldenburg.de
Thu Oct 6 11:47:26 PDT 2011

Hi Sarah,
We usually filter the cnt data at 1hz, then epoch the cnt file into consecutive 1 sec dummy epochs, prune these epochs for non-stereotypical artifacts and apply ICA (extended infomax, no or very moderate dimensionality reduction with PCA) to the remaining (approx. 80-90%) data. The resulting unmixing weights nicely disentangle artifacts and can be applied to the unfiltered, or more ERP-appropriately filtered, cnt data. If your focus is on task-related ICs I'd recommend to submit epoched data reflecting event-related activity to ICA. Regarding muscle artifact it seems sometimes difficult to tease apart muscle from gamma from channel noise, i agree. Rene Scheeringa's recent Neuron paper (2011) demonstrates a smart way of getting gamma-related ICs.
Hope this helps,
Stefan