[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:44:13 PDT 2011

Sara - I strongly believe in keeping as many degrees of freedom as possible
when performing ICA. How many are possible?  This depends mainly on the
length of the data. With 128 channels, ICA must learn a 128x128 unmixing
matrix (or AMICA, the 128x128 mixing matrix plus other coefficients) -- to
learn these 16k (or more) variables requires >>16k data points (perhaps
300,000 or more). At a 25- Hz sampling rate,  300k time points requires 20
min of data recording - usual EEG/ERP experiments are at least this long.

Using PCA to reduce the dimension of the data unfortunately 'folds in' or
'squashes down' information in the smaller dimensions into the lower
dimensional subspace -- I use the analogy of a 3-D data cloud shaped like a
pizza with one small anchovy sticking up in the middle. After reducing the
dimension of the data to 2 using PCA, the 'anchovy' portion of the data will
be 'squashed down' into the (2-D) pizza (e.g., only its projection onto the
pizza surface would be retained).  If the 'anchovy' dimension (i.e., that
independent component and EEG source) were of interest, ICA could no longer
find it. Even if not, it's presence in the (2-D) pizza would contribute
noise to the (now 2-D) ICA decomposition...

Scott