[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Steve Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 6 20:25:17 PDT 2011

Jason and Sara-

A 1-Hz high-pass cutoff is very likely to dramatically reduce the amplitude of late components like P3 and N400.  To see an example of this, take a look at Figure 7 in Kappenman & Luck (2010, Psychophysiology), which shows the effects of various high-pass cutoffs on P3 amplitude.  Not only does a 1-Hz cutoff reduce peak amplitude by over 50%, it also creates a spurious negative-going peak at the beginning of the waveform.

I like David Groppe's suggestion of using epoched data with a fairly long epoch length and doing baseline correction as a type of high-pass filter.

Steve

Steven J. Luck, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Mind & Brain
Professor, Department of Psychology