[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Steve Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 7 16:52:55 PDT 2011

Hi Sara.  I haven't systematically looked at the effects of high-pass filters on earlier components with real data.  However, there is an extensive discussion of the general issue of filter-induced distortions in chapter 5 of my book on ERP methods (An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique, MIT Press).  See Figure 5.10 for examples with artificial data.

Here's the issue in a nutshell: Any transient ERP will contain a broad spectrum of frequencies, so even a "high frequency" component like P1 has lots of low frequencies in it.  A high-pass filter will tend to induce opposite-polarity artificial peaks at the beginning and end of the waveform, and can also impact the peak amplitude.

The fundamental principle is that there is an inverse relationship between precision in the time domain and precision in the frequency domain.  If you use a filter to restrict the information in the frequency domain (essentially increasing precision in the frequency domain), you will necessarily spread the information out in the time domain (decrease precision in the time domain).  Since the most important virtue of ERPs is their temporal resolution, and filters decrease temporal precision, filters actually reduce the very thing that is most compelling about ERPs.  Thus, filters should be used sparingly.

Steve

E-Mail: sjluck at ucdavis.edu