[Eeglablist] filters, ICA and erp

Alexander J. Shackman shackman at wisc.edu
Mon Oct 10 12:56:39 PDT 2011

I'm looking forward to reading Arno's paper!

In the meantime, some may find our group's experiences using ICA to remove
EMG from the EEG useful:

http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~shackman/mcmenamin_shackman_ni2011.pdf
and
http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~shackman/mcmenamin_shackman_davidson_ni2010.pdf

Cheers,
Alex

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Scott Makeig <smakeig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does EMG in EEG data have to do with movements?
>
> Muscle tension is what generates EMG, not muscle movements per se. Two
> opposing muscles, when tensed together, may not produce movement, but do
> increase stiffness of the affected joint. Moving the body is only one of the
> two main things muscles do -- the other is to stiffen the body, e.g., to
> hold the head upright, but also for defensive and/or offensive purposes
> (actual or imagined). Thus I believe there is useful cognitive and emotional
> information in the configuration and strengths of neck muscle activations in
> situations when the head is not moving.
>
> Scott Makeig
>
> p.s. Arno is first author of a paper, long in preparation and now in final
> revision,  on differences between ICA algorithms applied to EEG data. We
> will share it with the list when finished-- I believe it
> has useful objective info on this subject.
>
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Sara Graziadio <
> sara.graziadio at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello Alonso,
>> I agree that the subjects are not always moving and so the ICA does not
>> work perfectly, but this is still an issue as the cortical activity is
>> intermixed with the emg and if you remove that IC you are cleaning the data
>> on one side but you are removing some cortical activity on the other side.
>> And you don't know anything about where that cortical activity is coming
>> from, what it is and so on. If you study the cortico-muscular coherence for
>> example, removing channels with emgs will reduce your coherence. Almost in
>> all the ICs I obtain with fastica (that should be the best algorithm or at
>> least one of the best) I have also some cortical activity, you can see it if
>> you look at the full signals in time, sometimes it is also obvious from the
>> PSD of the IC. I think this is a very important limit of ICA that make me
>> dubious when I read in the articles that ICA was used for artefact
>> rejection. To which extend it is usually not clear. Probably more
>> information should be provided in th!
>>  e methods about this but nobody does it as far as I know. Perhaps
>> somebody with more experience than me could comment on this.
>>
>> The 0.5Hz limit is something my colleagues and I found and I think it is
>> the common experience for everybody, probably it was also previously
>> discussed in this forum. I am not sure if there are any references for this.
>> I don't think that the computer crashes because of your filter though, but
>> I am not the best person to reply to you on this.
>>
>> I am not sure this could help you though!
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Sara

Alexander J. Shackman, Ph.D.
HealthEmotions Research Institute | Lane Neuroimaging Laboratory
Wisconsin Psychiatric Institute & Clinics
University of Wisconsin-Madison
6001 Research Park Boulevard
Madison, Wisconsin 53719

Telephone: +1 (608) 358-5025