[Eeglablist] Rejecting/Interpolating bad channels, take 2

Stephanie Echols sechols at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 14 12:00:06 PST 2011

Dear EEGLAB users,

I have a few questions regarding the rejection and interpolation of bad EEG
channels. I'm having a similar issue to that of Andrew Hill posted on May
9th, 2011, in that I have a few extremely bad channels that survive the
automatic channel rejection function, regardless of the threshold/method
applied.

Please see this image for an illustration:
http://ccp.uchicago.edu/~sechols/BadChannel_ERP.bmp
The rejected channels are highlighted in red, but channel 55, which is
almost comically bad, is not rejected.

I have tried to use the methods recommended in the thread of Andrew Hill et
al.,, and none of them seem to "catch" this bad channel.

It also doesn't appear to matter whether the data is epoched or not.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Further, does anyone know if there is a way to reject these channels using
code (as opposed to the Edit - Select Data function in the GUI), and
interpolate them? Is there a way to do this in concert with the automatic
channel rejection function, and save the bad channels rejected using both
methods in one function?

Thank you all for your time, I am new at this and would appreciate any
advice you can offer!

Best,
Stephanie