[Eeglablist] Dealing with braids or cornrows

Erin Wamsley EWamsley at bidmc.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 16 14:42:36 PST 2011

I have done EEG hookups on many research participants with cornrows, braids,
and other similar hairstyles.  I find these are very easy hairstyles to work
with if you are applying electrodes individually, but very difficult with a
cap system.  For individual electrodes, you can simply adjust the position
slightly to land the electrode in between the rows.  For a cap, it is very
difficult to access the scalp as there is no "wiggle room" and you can't
see.  I don't know how many electrodes you will be using, but if you are
thinking that a lot of your potential participants will have cornrows,
braids (or extensions, or a weave), I would consider either applying the
electrodes individually or screening for hairstyle type.
Best,
Erin Wamsley

Erin J. Wamsley, Ph.D.
Instructor in Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Ave E/FD 862 - Boston MA 02215
Ph:617-667-8486  Fx:617-667-8498
EWamsley at bidmc.harvard.edu