[Eeglablist] EEG reference BioSemi system

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 00:56:18 PST 2012

Hello Estelle,

A good place to start would be to look in the literature for studies
similar to yours and see what reference they use. You can also look in
Steve Luck's book *An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique
*(2005), which has information about choosing a reference electrode.

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Estelle Longin <estellelongin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear collegues,
>
> I am new in EEG analyses so I apologize if my question seem trivial.
> I am working on data recorded with a 128 high-density cap (BioSemi
> system); no specific reference electrode was used during the recording.
> I am wondering what is the best reference to choose with the software. I
> understood that the usual EEG reference selections are 1 electrode on top
> of the head (Cz), or the average of all connected electrodes... Someone
> could tell me what these two methods implies, how they differ and if one
> method is better than the other ?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Estelle Longin