[Eeglablist] filters (Makoto Miyakoshi)

Steve Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 7 13:36:59 PDT 2012

Hi Makoto.  For an introduction to the use of filters on EEG and especially ERP data, see chapter 5 in An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique (MIT Press; available on amazon.com).  This is a fairly thorough discussion of filters, but intended for people with little or no math/engineering background.

Steve Luck

> From: Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Eeglablist] filters
> Date: June 6, 2012 11:28:15 AM PDT
> To: Tim Schoof <t.schoof at ucl.ac.uk>
> Cc: <eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu>, "Brunner, Clemens" <clbrunner at ucsd.edu>
>

> Dear Tim and Clemens,
>
> Thanks for feedback.
> Since I don't know much about signal processing, my understanding of
> filter is the analog one used in an electric circuit with capacitors
> and inductors (as used in speakers and amplifiers). Sor it is
> intuitive for me, as Tim said, that slope and filter order are such
> that 6dB for the first order (1 capacitor/inductor), 12dB for the
> second order (capacitor + inductor), 18dB for the third order (3
> elements), etc. But it seems filter can be 'designed' pretty freely in
> signal processing.
>
> Clemens, I would appreciate if you could show us an introductory
> website or paper to learn what is digital filter.
>
> Makoto

Steven J. Luck, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Mind & Brain
Professor, Department of Psychology